SERVICE CHARGES & MAJOR WORKS CHARGES
Your service charge covers the day-to-day running costs of your building and the estate.
It generally includes the cost of:
• Housing management services and administration
• Building insurance
• Caretaking, communal services and other shared block and estate charges
• Repairs and maintenance services.
Your service charge bill is payable within the financial year.
You can pay the total bill:
• In a one-off payment (due within the month of issuance of the bill)
• In monthly instalments (due on the 1st of each month)
• Or make your own arrangements to pay it off (other arrangements must cover the minimum monthly instalment)
If you pay it late or don’t pay, you will be in breach of your lease.
For information on methods of payments for service charges, please visit – http://housingmanagement.lambeth.gov.uk/pay-your-rent-and-service-charge
Estimated service charges
Every April we send account holders an estimated yearly service charge for the new financial year. Your contribution is based on an estimate of what is expected to be spent on your block and estate during the coming year.
At the end of the financial year Lambeth prepare the final accounts. These show the actual spend on services for the previous year. Final accounts are sent out within six months of the end of the financial year. For example, for the 2013/14 financial year, you will have received an estimate in April 2013 and will get your final account in September 2014.
If actuals exceed the estimates, you will need to pay the difference. If less is spent your account will be credited.
When final accounts are issued, you will be sent the following documents:
• Covering letter explaining the final accounts and if money is owed to you or to Lambeth
• Certified summary of service charges
• Repairs and maintenance summary
• Summary showing the difference between the estimated and actual charges
• refund request form if there is a credit balance on your account
• change of details form so that you can inform us of any incorrect account details.
To reduce administrative costs Lambeth will only send you a refund form if your account is in credit by £50 or more.
If the final accounts show you owe money, you will have 28 days to pay the amount due.
Under the terms of the lease, Lambeth Living on behalf of Lambeth Council are responsible for carrying out repairs and maintenance to your block and estate. Major works refer to works that are lengthy ad costly. For example:
- New roofing
- New windows
- Repairing roads, paths and walkways
- Improving fire safety
Leaseholders must be consulted on any work carried out in line with Section 20 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 (as amended). All leaseholders will be consulted about major works that will cost them more than £250 each.
A Section 20 notice will be issued containing:
- Reason for carrying out the works
- A description of the works
- An invitation to comment on the proposals
- A breakdown of costs
- An invitation to inspect the contract documents
If you have any concerns or are not satisfied with the works, you can contact CETRA and we will investigate any problems. Any issues you have must be reported and investigated as soon as possible, because once the works ave been signed off as satisfactory and the final invoice is issued, it will be very difficult to sort out problems.
For information on methods of payments for major works, please select the following: Major Works payment options.